Monday, December 14, 2009

I work at a call centre, the new factory of the 21st century. A year ago my city had four call centres and they all shut down--the rising dollar, managerial ineptitude and the financial clusterfuck of our time--all led to them closing their doors and leaving about over 1,500 people umemployed in a city of 40,000.

Which mean I now travel an hour each way to work for 11.50 an hour. It sucks. People have it worse, I get it. It's not like I'm an amputee or my country is in the midst of a civil war. I live a cushy Southern Ontario life. I have three kids and a wife. I'm fed, they're fed. We're all healthy. We have a car. We rent a decent sized apartment. But something is wrong when you're favourite part of the day is the period in the middle of the night when you're unconscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment